Friday, August 6, 2010

RUN 4 REM






My husband joined his first run April this year, and since then he had been convincing me to register and get myself a slot in one of those marathons. I have always said no to each and every one of his invitations because I knew that there was never a place for running in my heart. I used to think it was only for the figure conscious and the true enthusiasts of running, because it is the sport of their choice. I used to think that I can never find time for an early Sunday run. 

Then he would woo me asking if I’d want a new pair of rubber shoes, running shorts and those running gadgets that you place on your wrist, on your shoe, around your arm, etc.  I was craaazy against it. I was so not going to run.  Until he was able to change my mind. 

Last Sunday’s Rexona Run was my second… the first one’s Nutribar Hip2bFit at the UP campus. I liked the fact that there are free singlets everytime. Haha. More so, I also learned to enjoy the feeling of being at the finish line, whether I was fast or slow on the track. But on top of all these things that I have gradually learned to instill in myself, I have already decided that I will only run if it were for a good cause. 

Good cause? Yes, there is such thing; like raising funds to restore children’s libraries or helping sick children get proper medication or creating public awareness – like the death of a man who only wanted to run to become able-bodied and live longer for his children. 

Run 4 Rem – as written on the black bands on our heads was our shout during the RexonaRun last August 1, 2010. 
Remus Fuentes collapsed during his 21k run at the 34th Milo Marathon, a kilometer before the finish line. Two days after, he passed away due to multiple organ failure as a result of heatstroke. And Milo never felt responsible-- that a runner died because there was no water left to drink and because there were no paramedics. 

Milo never felt sorry that a father had to grieve over the loss of his son; that two children had to lose a father; and that a woman had to raise her son and daughter on her own. 

Our plead: LET JUSTICE BE SERVED. 

No comments:

Search